Saturday, September 22, 2007

Continuing the mend...

I am healing physically, but it sometimes seems so slow. I have to remember that it's been only two weeks since the accident and just a week out of the hospital. The pain associated with the rib and vertebral fractures has been mostly manageable, and is actually beginning to decrease. The spasms in my back muscles have been the cause of the majority of the recent pain, and hopefully that also will subside as they recover from the surgical trauma.

The greatest difficulty has been the incompatibility of my physical condition with my desire for activity, I guess a pretty bad case of cabin fever. In spite of feeling well enough to do many things I would like, I know that to allow my body to heal I must take it easier than I want. It can be pretty frustrating to wake from a nap and get out of bed simply to go sit in my wheelchair so that my back can tire enough to lie down for another nap. I realize that in the grand scale of life this recovery will be relatively short, but at times the hours of inactivity and being cooped up in the house do drag by. I will have a visit with the doctor this Wednesday and hope to be released to some minimal activity, perhaps knitting or macrame. In the meantime, my nurse continues to care for me with her tireless patience and kindness, whether it's managing my medications or my spirits. Thanks, Rebekah.

I continue to be encouraged by the outpouring of support from friends, family, and our church. Hardly an hour goes by without an encouraging note, phone call, or visit. Again, I thank you all for that, and I will continue to keep you posted as news and status progress.

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

My Jason wants doilies for Christmas. Instead of him just getting them as a gift from you, why don't you teach him how to 'doilie' if the doctor releases you to do so? Seriously, though, it's like when a puppy sleeps a lot to gain strength because it wants to do what it sees its mom and dad doing, and with each new day it does gain strength. You're like a puppy...with a back brace.

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing your heart, Jason...I will continue to pray for perseverance and strength and patience as you endure your recovery-

Maybe you should watch Napolean Dynamite or something??...hahaha-

Say hello to your wife and children-

Minnesota friend-
amy:)